Monday, June 05, 2006

Deer farm visit

Guess what, starting to write blog entries after quite a long time of blog abstinence is hard! But to avoid working on my paper, I'll do anything :-)

So, there is my recent story:
Yesterday I have visited a deer farm. Logan invited me to see the place where he grew up, and as I've never seen farmed deer before, I was keen to see it. I was invited for lunch, so we left some time in the morning to be there on time. The farm is in the south, in a village called Aria. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera, so I cannot provide any self-made images of the trip (I was hopping mad because of that!!).
Anyways, we were driving south for about 1 1/2 hours, the weather was not too good, but also not too bad.
We passed the closest supermarket about half an hour before we arrived. Then we passed a lot of fields with sheep and cattle on them, before we finally arrived on the farm. Logan's parents were already awaiting us, lunch was ready. His mum put a lot of effort into providing vegan food for me, incredible! She even bought soy milk and soy cheese for me!
In the afternoon, we drove along the fields and watched the animals. Haven't worn gum boots for a while, but it was fun walking around in the mud (hehe). One of the deer was held as a pet for many years, but the owner had to move and could not keep the animal, and so it is now living on the farm. She (can't remember her name) is still very confiding, and so we were able to pet her (haven't stroked a deer before!).

Logan also showed me the apparatuses used for weighing, removing the horns, sheering and tuberculosis testing. A lot of it was very shocking to me. Efficient work seems to be the most important thing, no idea if animal welfare plays any role. At least they are using anaesthesia for removing the horns.. The dogs are kept on chains ("they are working dogs!"), and deer is brought to the slaugterhouse when they are 10 months old (the pet deer is 19 years old and will probably live for another 4 years..). And they love (possum and rabbit) hunting and fishing.

I often can't understand how animals can be seen so differently. The farmers family is really nice and caring, and I was so warmly welcomed there. Even my vegan lifestyle was not a problem! But then, non-human animals are not a lot more than things for them. A lot of people seem to forget (not be aware of) the fact that humans are not the only ones who feel pain. Weired..

Back to yesterday. We stayed for dinner there, and I could take a whole bag full of fresh apples and kiwis and a pumpkin with me. *mjam*

Definitely worth the trip. Thanks Logan for the invitation!!

1 Comments:

At 11:44 PM, Blogger njyo said...

Nice to see your blog revitalised. And even if it is just because of avoidance of paper writing... :)

Sry 4 OT, but I don't hav nothing suitable to say right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home