Monday, June 26, 2006

double-decker checker

I tell you guys, the weekend was fabulous!
Despite the fact that there is this 8000 words report due on Tuesday, I was going to Auckland for the weekend to go to Colin and Jesse's farewell party. The two are going to India, Colin for 6 weeks and Jesse for a month, so it was the last chance to see Colin, and the last chance to see lots of other people who attended the party.

I went to Auckland in the morning by bus. It was a double-decker bus and I had one of the front seats. Which was great :-) Good spot to take some photos..

Finally arriving in Auckland, I went to help at the SAFE stall. Was quite encouraging I have to say. So many people have not heard of battery hens before, they have no idea where their food comes from. The response was really good, people were interested, listening and could see the benefit of making different decisions. The best discussion was with one guy who said that he would always buy the cheapest, but after talking to me for a while he wasn't that sure any more. I got him by asking him if paying 1$ less is also that important when he goes out to have some beers..

After the stall, I went to Alice and Billy's place. They are so generous and let me stay over night at their place every time I come up to Auckland. I was going for a walk with Alice, her sister Sue and her dog (can't remember his name..). Billy was watching the World Cup in the meantime ;-) After that, I went to get some food for the potluck party in the evening. I then cooked and watched TV at the same time (works quite well), and then it was almost time to go to the party already!

I forgot to bring my camera unfortunately, but you know, sometimes it is better to enjoy the situation anyways. Ended up talking with Jesse for quite a while. He is planning to live in Taiwan next year, what I find very exciting. Hope that it is easy for him to be vegan there. Not everything I heard was positive..

I almost forgot dancing that evening (too much talking ;-)), but I had at least a few minutes of dancing with Colin at the end of the party.
The food was of course aweseome, did not know where to start :-) Pizza, spring rolls, sushi, salad, carrot soup, bread and beetroot rice (by manu), fruits, chips and dips, pie, and and and. Marvellous :-))

I wanted to go back to Hamilton early in the morning, but I managed to sleep until 9:30, and when I finally was back in the city centre it was 11am, and the next bus left at 1. So I decided to walk around and have some food and chill out a bit more. The bus was a bit late, and after arriving in Hamilton and walking home for about 50 minutes, I was back home at about 4:30. Report is still waiting to be written..

Anyone who wants to write a report?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home